Friday 20 April 2012

Green Goblin Pencil Sketch


Last week I was commissioned by an old friend to design a drawing based around this image.









She was looking to have the image turned into a design for some paint ball jerseys, but she wanted the whole head and a finished picture rather than just the face. Her request was to add in hit head/hat, some of hi neck and chest, replace the torn edge with broken glass and make it look like he was reaching out.



So this is what I came up with.

And here is the finished product. I always find it weird looking back on outlines I've done, that I'm able to read them like a map and know what goes where and turn an image of nonsensical lines into a realistic image with perspective.


I am really happy with how this turned out. I was really worried once I got the face done because I had no more reference images. I have a good understanding of light and perspective but to try to add loosely referenced components onto a per-exisitng image is difficult. It is very easy to make it obvious that parts don't belong, or have something that just seems... off. I'm a visual artist so I need reference material, I'm creative but I'm not imaginative, I find it hard creating things and being able to translate what's in my head to the paper, but somehow I managed to do it this time! And I think I did it rather well. Aside from maybe the fingers, nothing seems like it doesn't belong, it looks cohesive and it looks like that was what the image was all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment