Treats can be expensive, especially liver based treats, which is why I started making my own. A few months ago I listed a recipe for how to make dehydrated liver treats. These treats are great, except they take a lot of prep time and the smell that permeates the house when baking the treats is vile. So I decided to start making freeze dried liver treats.
These treats are quick and easy to make, and are also a great summer treat for hot pooches.
I've found that Calf Liver seems to work better for these treats, but if you can't find calf liver that's alright just make sure the liver is fully cooked.
- Boil the liver until fully cooked, about 45minutes if using a full piece, 20 minutes if cut into chunks.
- Drain, cool and cut. Cut the treats into thin pieces, the thicker the cut the longer it will take for the treats to dry out. I also personally like long thing pieces that are easy to break up.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the treats out.
- Place in your freezer. The cooler the freezer the better the results. Leave the treats for at least one week, longer may be needed for thicker pieces.
- As they dry they will take on a white freezer burnt colour.
- To check that they are ready pull a couple out and let them thaw, if they are squishy they are not fully dried.
Leave them in the freezer until ready to use them. Use as a cool tasty treat or as training treats.